When you want to buy a used vehicle in Kenya, one of the first steps to do is a motor vehicle search so that you can be able to know the history of the car and milleage, to know the car is duly registered and to establish the real registered owner of the motorvehicle. Therefore is a very important step in buying a vehicle from another person, a company or an organization. For example, suppose you’re a money lending organization, and you take vehicle logbooks as collateral. In that case, this is a general procedure and the first step of accepting a vehicle as a security against a loan by a particular customer.
How to do a motor vehicle search in Kenya
Here are the measures for performing a motor vehicle search in Kenya.
- Sign in to NTSA TIMS Portal for free. If you do not have an account yet, you can create one by clicking on the ‘Register’ option.
- Select ‘Make Application’
- Select ‘Vehicle registration.’
- Choose ‘Search for a motor vehicle (copy of files).’
- Click on ‘Apply Now’ and enter the vehicle registration number without space, for example, ‘KAA381B.’
- Select your payment method. This service cost KES 550
- Follow the onscreen instructions on the website to download the requested registration information.
Note that: The NTSA motor vehicle search duplicate of records will provide you with the following information that will enable you to confirm with the seller’s records before making a purchase:
- Vehicle Make
- Vehicle model
- Body type
- Chassis number
- Engine number
- Year of manufacture
- Name of the current owner