A CRB clearance certificate (or COC) is a legal document that confirms that currently a client does not have a non- performing account or Loan. This crb certificate is usually requested by employers especially government institutions in Kenya when you are applying for jobs. It can also be an essential document by lending institutions such as banks and SACCOs.
So this is a vital document that you will require from time to time. It is similarly a document that is valid on the day it is issued. You can check our guide on how to check your CRB status here.
If you do not have a negative CRB listing on your credit report, you will get a clearance certificate immediately. If you have a negative CRB listing on your credit report due to an outstanding loan, you will be issued with a credit status certificate.
Governmental and an increasing number of some private sector employers are making it compulsory for prospective employees to have to present a Certificate of Clearance from one of the duly licensed credit reference bureaus (CRBs) operating in Kenya. Metropol provides a convenient network of offices and agencies for individuals to obtain their CoC when needed.
The CoC may be utilised to Know Your Agent (KYA), Know Your Employee (KYE), Know Your Customer (KYC), or to clear the individual or company itself for business with other SMEs or even corporate clients.
To get a CRB clearance certificate, one must make an application through a licensed CRB company in Kenya. It will cost you a fee of Ksh 2,200 for the certificate. The Central Bank of Kenya has approved the following CRB firms:
a. Metropol Corporation
- Dial USSD *433# on your mobile phone using Safaricom line
- Enter your National ID Number
- Enter your agent number if you were referred by a Metropol agent else, enter zero (0) to proceed
- Confirm your correct details to complete the registration process
- Pay a fee of Ksh 100 as registration fees through the Paybill number 220388 and then use your National ID number as your account number.
- You will get an SMS with Crystobol PIN.
- Visit the Metropol website.
- Enter your PIN
- Select ‘Clearance Certificate’
- Pay a fee of Ksh 2,200 for the certificate via the Paybill number 220388
- Follow the instructions showed to download your clearance certificate.
b. TransUnion Africa
- Text your full names to shortcode 21272 or 21CRB. Note: SMS Charges cost Ksh 19. Download and print the TransUnion Nipashe app to save on SMS charges
- Register by sending a one-off payment of Ksh 50 to PayBill number 212121 and use your National ID as the account number
- Then pay a fee of Ksh 2,200, then email your Mpesa/Airtel transaction details to email@example.com, and you will be emailed back the clearance certificate.
c. Creditinfo Kenya
Follow the on-screen instructions on their website and fill out the subsequent forms thereof.
If you have any unsettled loans, you will need to clear them in order to get a CRB clearance certificate from the credit bureaus. If you are not in a position to clear the outstanding loans at the time, you will just have to get a credit status certificate.